Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Wisconsin library at risk of losing regional library status

The New Glarus, Wisconsin Public Library is in danger of losing its status in the South Central Library System.

Before I go on, I should say New Glarus is close to my heart. I'm a quarter Swiss courtesy of my dad, who grew up in the village.

The library, which is located in one room within the Village Hall, is fighting to remain in that space rent-free. Library officials say that "is crucial to staying in the regional system ... because to be a member libraries must show a certain level of support from their municipalities." The village says they need to charge rent because of a tight budget and a "state-mandated levy limit." Officials also contend that New Glarus "should be compensated more than the 30 percent it already receives from the county" because "half of the library patrons come from surrounding communities."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home