Saturday, November 15, 2008

Bloglines divorce

I've been using Bloglines for a few years now to read my feeds, but have been becoming increasingly annoyed and frustrated at the number of times I either couldn't get into the site or my feeds weren't updating. Other Bloglines users have experienced the same annoyance and have been jumping ship. In fact, even Mark Fletcher, Bloglines' founder, is threatening to leave for Google Reader.

Today was just another example. I woke up around 8 a.m. and had nothing in either of my two accounts. Several of my feeds are celebrity and news-related and I guess I was supposed to be stupid enough to believe nothing, not one solitary thing, happened overnight. Give me a break!

As I kept trying throughout the day and the problem continued (much of the time the site would sit and sit trying to load), I finally was fed up and imported all my subscriptions into Google Reader.

Google Reader is going to take a bit of time to get used to. One thing I didn't like is that my two separate feeds from Bloglines (I have one "fun" account that I read at home and another account that is work-related) are all together now. It's not a deal-breaker, I'll just need to adapt.

Another thing I'm trying to figure out is how to whack a "friend" who at some point decided to share his feeds with me. My settings say I'm not sharing with anyone and no one is sharing with me, so even though I whacked him, I'm guessing he has to whack me before I'll see the change. I don't want to do this, but I may have to e-mail him and ask him to whack me since I have no desire to read anything of his. I'll keep playing around though and see if I can't figure it out.

* Addendum: The shared items are quite old and I have nothing recent, which must mean that since I blocked him, the sharing stopped. But there's got to be a way to whack the stuff that's there. I just have to figure out how to do it.

Overall, I am enjoying testing out Google Reader, which seems a bit better to me than I first thought.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

interesting. I too have been frustrated with Bloglines - especially when I trying to use it in teaching a class, and it was unresponsive.

I bet you whacked the turkey. good riddance!

9:48 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

Give Google Reader a try. There are some things I don't like, but overall I've been happy with it. Your students might like it better too since I'll bet most use Google constantly and already have Gmail accounts. One more thing for them to add to their arsenal and one more step toward Google controlling the world.

As for the turkey, yes, I whacked him. I hate his guts and wish I'd never met him. I can't believe anyone would want such a mean, insensitive excuse for a human being. I'm just glad it's not me.

12:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home