Wednesday, January 07, 2009

SLA annual conference

I was happy this morning to be one of the first 100 people to register for the SLA annual conference, which is June 14-17 this year in Washington, D.C. SLA offered $100 off the cost of conference registration for the first 100 people registered in honor of the association's 100th anniversary and as a means of attracting attendees, many of whom have dealt with unemployment as companies have laid off part or all of their library staffs. My colleagues in the News Division have been hit particularly hard. Reading our listserv this year has been quite depressing with all the messages from people, including my former boss in Madison, who announced they were accepting buyouts from their respective newspapers.

On a happier note, I'm so happy that Amanda will be attending this year. Since we both moved away from Madison in 2005, conferences are the only time we get to see each other. (Although I'm dreaming of a trip to NYC this year.) We both agreed through e-mails today to talk about staying on in D.C. a few days after the conference to do touristy things. I've never been there and it would be a shame not to get a chance to enjoy the city a bit before returning to reality. Plus, I think I deserve some fun this year.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You will love D.C. and I recommend seeing the Vietnam Veterans Memorial. Near the wall is a statue honoring nurses in Vietnam -- very moving. If you go to the Press Club, there is a piano there that Lauren Bacall made famous -- this from wikipedia: "On a visit to the National Press Club in Washington, D.C. on February 10, 1945, Bacall's press agent, chief of publicity at Warner Bros. Charlie Enfield, asked the 20-year-old Bacall to sit on the piano which was being played by Vice-President of the United States Harry S. Truman. The photos caused controversy and made worldwide headlines." Also Amy you should try to link up with our folks at the Dispatch Washington Bureau so you can see their press digs -- offices on the top floors, retail on bottom - it's really cool!

7:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://blog.press.org/NPC/NPC_shrdlu/images/Page_093_Photo_sm.jpg


Lauren Bacall on the piano that I hope Amy gets to see in D.C. and I hope is still at the Press Club!

7:07 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

That's a great photo. We're possibly having the awards banquet at the Press Club, but if that doesn't pan out, I know one of the librarians there and will ask her if I can stop by.

I've always liked Lauren Bacall and I'm a big Harry Truman fan. I visited his presidential museum in Independence, Missouri in June 2005, which was a fun and really interesting trip that I have great memories of, in spite of the awful company I had during it.

8:19 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

Linda,

Good news! The piano is still there, http://tinyurl.com/86tjjv

12:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home