Monday, January 05, 2009

Back from vacation

I had a wonderful time being home in Wisconsin the past two weeks, in spite of the fact that I spent the second week sick with a cold that has now turned into a hacking cough.

My airline problems continued, this time on the return trip. I knew it was too good to be true when I called Amanda to say all was going well and my flight looked to be on time. (In fact, I called her from the plane to tell her just how wrong I had been.) There was a problem with the fuel indicator, so we sat on the plane for 90 minutes before we could finally take off.

Then I had to take a cab back to my place, at a cost of $50 no less and had to give directions to my place to boot, quite a challenge for me as my friends know since I'm absolutely rotten with street names. Since I spent a good portion of the drive with plugged ears courtesy of my cold and was on a hacking jag at the same time, the ride was quite interesting.

As you'll see by the time of this post, I'm now completely wired and wide awake at 3 a.m. Fortunately, I don't return to work until Tuesday.

I have to admit I'm getting weary of airports and longing for the days where I had a 20 minute drive for the holidays.

On a more positive note, I did eat at Paisan's and had lunch with my former boss, which I always enjoy. I appreciate him always taking the time to see me when I'm in town and the advice he continues to offer me. He is without a doubt the person who I owe my professional success to.

Later today will be spent running errands and getting my mindset back into work mode and hopefully offering some more interesting posts. I also need to do some catching up with Mark. (Yeah to the Vikings going down today!)

And before I forget, happy 2009!


Blogger Emily said...

Wow. I've never encountered a cab driver who needed directions. It's not like you live in someplace terribly remote either.

Sorry for your bad luck! Hope this was a productive and refreshing day.

5:41 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

Thanks for saying that. I do live near a major intersection (or so I thought) and I just assume that cab drivers will know where it is, but I've only ever had one who knew right where I lived because he'd taken somewhere there before.

Unfortunately, today wasn't a good day. I was up all night, finally falling asleep for about 90 minutes around 7:30 this morning, so I was up over 24 hours straight. I hope this isn't something I can look forward to as I get older.

Then I discovered later this morning that I had no hot water. Maintenance finally came around 3 p.m. and I wish I could have taken a photo of this guy looking at my greasy hair and runny nose when he came in. (I was waiting for hot water so I could take a shower -- the steam helps alleviate my congestion).

Arrghh! I am losing patience and becoming an old fuddy duddy in my old age.

5:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home