Sunday, January 07, 2007

Getting to know you

In response to Amanda, who tagged me to list five things people don't know about me. I found this difficult, since my close friends will probably know these things, but maybe I'll manage to surprise a few of you.

1. I love gorillas.
I can't remember exactly when it was when I became fascinated by these beautiful animals, but the first gorilla I came to love was the Milwaukee County Zoo's most famous resident, Samson. I remember my parents taking my brother, sister and I to visit the zoo many times and the only animal I ever cared about seeing was Samson. He died in 1981, but remains the zoo's most popular animal, as witnessed by an exhibit which is currently at the Milwaukee Public Museum. My dream trip would be a visit to Rwanda to visit the mountain gorillas.

2. My childhood career goal was to be a pediatrician.
At some point I realized how much school this would entail and coupled with the fact that while I like children, I don't have the patience to deal with them all day long, those plans quickly fell by the wayside.

3. I came very close to giving up librarianship.
I had been searching for a position for six months and it just wasn't happening for me. I was depressed and frustrated. When I was contacted about interviewing for my present position, I told a few people this was my last shot and that if I didn't get the job, I was giving up. Fortunately, I overcame those thoughts and even better, I got the job.

4. I have a bad ankle that gives out with no warning.
I can't remember how I injured it, but occasionally it will give out and I'll lose my footing. I haven't fallen .. at least not yet.

5. I love wandering around old cemeteries.
I know some people think this is weird, but to me cemeteries are filled with history. I find walking around and reading the headstones to be very peaceful and interesting.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome back!

I like wandering around cemetaries too. We should do that some day when it's nice out! :)

10:16 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

Hey Emily,

I had no idea that you enjoyed that too. Since you know your way around these parts, I'll let you choose an old cemetery and we can definitely go visit it when spring gets here.

10:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home