Friday, April 21, 2006

A Columnist and a Blogger -- an interesting update

Earlier this week I posted about Los Angeles Times business columnist Michael Hiltzik, who also maintains a blog, Golden State, on the paper's Web site.

Well, at least he did maintain a blog until yesterday, when the Times suspended it after it was learned that Hiltzik had been posting comments to his blog and other Web sites using a pseudonym. That action violates the paper's ethics policy, which requires journalists to honestly represent themselves when dealing with the public.

Not suprisingly, when contacted for comment, Hiltzik said he wasn't able to do that.

I was impressed with the interview Hiltzik gave to Online Journalism Review and mentioned the article to several of my colleagues. I won't speak for them, but I was both disappointed and a bit stunned by the announcement. An article in today's The Washington Post gives more details.

3 Comments:

Blogger Cindy said...

Wow, that's crazy. Why was he using a pseudonym? Was he promoting himself or saying things he shouldn't be?

9:12 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

He would use a pseudonym to either support the points made on his own blog or to attack his critics by commenting on their posts. I really think this episode is unfortunate and I hope it doesn't discourage newspapers from having their columnists blog. I think it's a wonderful outlet for their talents.

12:20 AM  
Blogger happypuspack said...

Book Cheap Air Tickets International and fly.

11:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home