Sunday, February 19, 2006

Abraham Lincoln Book Shop

I'm not ashamed to admit that I'm a full-fledged history geek who is particularly intrigued with all things presidential.

So I was quite interested to read an Associated Press article about the Abraham Lincoln Book Shop in Chicago. The store, founded in 1938, has 8,000 books (additional titles are in storage) about the United States' 16th President, along with photos, framed documents and other memorabilia on display.

The shop has been frequented by the likes of poet Carl Sandburg, filmmaker Ken Burns and writer and historian Doris Kearns Goodwin, who bought several books at the shop which helped her in the writing of "Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln."

I'll be heading back toward Chicago in September on my way home to Madison and will have to add a stop at the store on my to do list. I'll have to watch myself though, since I could easily lose myself for hours in a place like this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home