Thursday, January 19, 2006

Remembering Sam Cooke

Here's something my faithful blog readers probably don't know about me: I'm a huge Sam Cooke fan.

Even if you can't place who Sam is, you more than likely have heard his songs, some of which include "You Send Me," "Another Saturday Night," "Chain Gang," "Only Sixteen," and my personal favorite, "Bring It On Home to Me."

In anticipation of the 75th anniversary of his birth, NPR's "Talk of the Nation" reflects on Sam's life and legacy with Peter Guralnick, author of "Dream Boogie : The Triumph of Sam Cooke."

Sam died tragically in 1964 at the age of 33, so we'll never know how much more success he would have had or the various directions his career would have taken if he had lived.

I do like to think that wherever Sam is, he's smiling knowing that he has so many fans like myself, who were born several years after he died.

Here's to you Sam, you were and always will be one of a kind.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I loved what Keith Richards once said about Sam Cooke: "Sam Cooke is somebody other singers have to measure themselves against, and most of them go back to pumping gas." Cooke was a visionary artist with a voice in a million ... thanks for reminding me to pull my copy of "The Man and his Music" out of the crate.

7:47 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

Hi Mark,

It's great to hear from another Sam Cooke fan.

I love that quote from Keith Richards and there's another one that means a lot to me, which came from Sam's father, the Reverend Charles Cook: "It isn't what you sing that is so important, but rather the fact that God gave you a good voice to use. He must want you to make people happy by singing, so go ahead and do so."

8:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home