Sunday, August 21, 2005

Living lean

I apologize for the infrequency of my posts and ask for your indulgence over the next few weeks as I move 500 miles east to my new home in Ohio. Also, being online and typing is a bit difficult at the moment because it involves me sitting on the floor cross-legged with the keyboard on my lap. (I'm not as young as I used to be and my back can only take it for so long.)

I returned from my apartment hunting adventure in Ohio late Wednesday evening and was informed on Thursday that the movers were coming to pack and load all my worldly possessions on Saturday. I protested, saying I had to work Saturday and also mentioned the small detail that I'll be in Madison for two more weeks working at my current job. Of course, the woman I spoke to didn't care a whit about that fact and said Saturday was the only day they could come to guarantee delivery the week before I start my new job.

My living room consists of my computer's tower and monitor ( I have a freelance writing assignment due early next week and need it for that, but also, I'm ashamed to admit I couldn't stand the thought of no Internet access for the next few weeks), TV (also on the floor), one folding chair and a TV tray loaned to me so I'd have a place to eat.

I also set aside one plate, bowl, fork, knife, spoon, a wooden spoon, pizza cutter, cookie tray and pot for cooking and eating. All my food is in the fridge or consolidated into one cupboard.

So things look pretty bare, but to tell the truth, when the apartment started to empty out, I couldn't help smiling. I haven't enjoyed living here and never saw this place as my permanent home.

Like Amanda, who relocated to New York in early July, I'm scared at the thought of moving to a new city where I don't know a soul, but at the same time I'm excited at the thought of what awaits me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home