Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Linguistics quiz: Yankee or Rebel?

Cindy posted something similar recently and I thought of her when I listened to this piece on NPR's "Morning Edition" today.

In it, host Steve Inskeep speaks to Robert Beard, the co-developer of the "Are you a Yankee or a Rebel?" quiz. Beard holds a Ph.D. in linguistics and is president of AlphaDictionary.com.

The quiz consists of 20 questions which ask you how you pronounce certain words. What's really great about it is that when you select an answer, it will display where in the U.S. that pronunciation tends to be used.

I particularly liked the answer I got to Question #15, "Where might you get water in a public building?" My answer: Bubbler, which was answered with a reply of "Heavy bias in southern Wisconsin and Massachusetts." Amazing.

My final score was "39% Dixie. You are definitely a Yankee."

I should mention that since moving to Ohio I've been told that I have a noticeable accent by several people. The first comment came from the doctor who I had to see as part of a
pre-employment physical for my new job, who said I sounded like "I was from Cleveland." Another notable exchange came from the tax man, whose first question to me upon our introduction was "Are you from up north?"

2 Comments:

Blogger Cindy said...

Mine said:
36% Dixie. You are definitely a Yankee.

That's funny that he asked if you were from Cleveland. I've been told I sound like I'm from Cleveland (which I am - sorta)... so maybe that's why I don't really feel like you have much of accent - cause you sound a lot like me. :) (except for that bubbler part!)

1:27 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

To my ears, many of the people I have encountered since the move are the ones with the accent, particularly the farther outside Columbus you go. That said, I'm proud that a part of Wisconsin is still with me. :)

2:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home