Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Newseum receives $52 million in gifts

The Newseum, a museum dedicated to telling the story of how the news is created and to upholding the principles of the First Amendment, has received $52 million in gifts from several major media companies that will go toward the construction of a new $435 million dollar facility that will open in Washington, D.C. in the fall of 2007.

The museum will welcome visitors with a 74-foot high marble engraving of the First Amendment at its entrance and will have 250,000 square feet of space that will include "galleries, theaters and retail space."

The Newseum is perhaps best known as the place to go to view front pages from newspapers around the country and the world. It's a site I visit daily to view the front pages of the papers back home in Wisconsin.

Thanks to Romenesko for the link.

3 Comments:

Blogger Cindy said...

Hmm. I smell a road trip!

11:06 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

Me too. I have never been to Washington D.C. and it's one of the top places I'd like to visit. Remind me to tell you something about the Newseum when we go to the event Thursday night.

I'm sure this will shock you to know that going to a museum dedicated to news would be like dying and going to heaven for me.

12:13 AM  
Blogger Cindy said...

Yes, that's quite shocking.

I've been to DC once, but it was on a school trip in 8th grade. I think I could appreciate much more now. I remember spending much of the trip preoccupied with whether or not Gus thought I was cute.

9:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home