Saturday, March 31, 2007

Netflix distribution center opens in Columbus, Ohio

Well what do you know? Surfing the Web late on a Saturday morning can be a productive activity after all.

I worked today from home and after finishing, sat down to watch a Netflix DVD of the 2005 film "Nanny McPhee." I got about 45 minutes through the movie, which I was really enjoying by the way, when the picture started going in and out and eventually black. The picture came back for a while and I thought I'd report the disk damaged so another Netflix customer wouldn't receive it, but that I'd be able to get through the last 45 minutes just fine. Wrong. The movie played for about 10 more minutes before the same problem happened again.

So despite having a zillion things on my to do list, I went back to surfing the Internet and spent some time searching blog posts to find out how many people have had to return damaged Netflix DVDs.

Then I ran across a post on the Hacking NetFlix blog about the recent opening of a Netflix distribution center in Columbus. And because I'm a good librarian, I confirmed the news from a story in Business First of Columbus.

I'm really happy about the news and hope it means there will be a quicker turnaround time for receiving movies. I admit I was surprised when I moved to Columbus and saw that all my movies are primarily coming from Dayton, Ohio and Bowling Green, Kentucky. I couldn't believe a city of Columbus' size didn't have their own facility. This movie lover is keeping her fingers crossed.

* Addendum 4/3: The replacement disc arrived today and guess where it came from? :)

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay! We just signed up with Netflix.

4:49 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

Send me an invite to be your Netflix friend so we compare what's in each other's queues.

5:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, I won't lurk any more. This is my first official comment to All Things Amy!

Now that there's a toddler in our house, there's no time for flicks, other than "kid vids." But I wouldn't mind seeing my favorite movies again & again: Murphy's Romance, Desk Set, The Paper, Silkwood, and This is Spinal Tap. All news librarians need to see "Desk Set" and "The Paper"!

9:28 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

Hi Linda,

I'm glad my post motivated you to post. :)

I would add a couple to your list. "His Girl Friday," which has a strong female lead who tries to give up journalism but just can't manage it and my favorite, "All the President's Men." There's a brief clip of the news librarian helping Carl Bernstein (played by Robert Redford) and the newsroom scenes remind why I love being a news librarian.

Do you know about Liz Donovan's Woodward and Bernstein connection? It's a great story.

7:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home