Wednesday, January 04, 2006

West Virginia tragedy

This morning I went out to get my paper and was so happy to see the headline saying that 12 of the 13 miners waiting to be rescued in West Virginia were alive. That feeling dissipated quickly however when I learned that the 12 were actually dead and that some type of "miscommunication" had led to the circulation of erroneous information.

In a column on Poynter online this morning, Al Tompkins questions how the incorrect stories running in many of the nation's newspapers "will affect the way readers look at the news media."

Check out Today's Front Pages courtesy of the Newseum and see how many papers ran the untrue headlines and stories.

My heart goes out to the miners and their families and I'm thinking about the one surviving miner and hoping he makes it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home